Sunday, September 12, 2010

Anne Frank and a little French girl

This week I submitted an assignment for my GDTL course.  The task was to create a literary experience for a group of children, and to read them a story and get them to act or react to it.  The assignment consisted of a multimedia production of evidence of the experience and a document outlining the lesson plan, how it linked into the Four Resources Model and a short description of the context of the experience.

I read a story about Anne Frank to the Year 6s in whose class I am currently on prac.  My lesson went really well, and I was pleased with the interaction and engagement of the students, and their genuine interest in listening to the story and their participation in the activity following.

More than anything though, I was impressed when a few days after reading the story to my Year 6s, a French girl came up to me and told me that her grandmother was sending her a copy of Anne Frank's Diary.  Then in her reading journal on Friday (unfortunately after I'd submitted my assignment) she had written (in English) that she had started reading a French translation of Anne's diary and was enjoying it very much, and linked back to my lesson the previous week!

I think this is that 'buzz' that teachers sometimes say they get when they connect with a student!

No comments:

Post a Comment