Thursday, June 9, 2011

QCT Standard 6

Some time ago, I said that I needed to write about my first experience of being the 'teacher' at a parent teacher interview... then I got my results for for my ePortfolio, and decided that this entry about QCT Standard 6 met that criteria, and made for a good post anyway... and for the double award: I've never posted twice on one day... 


Support personal development and participation in society

Beliefs:
I believe in creating a reciprocal learning environment where the strengths of each student are fostered and used.  By using positive and consistent behaviour management strategies, a culture of respect between students and teachers can be maintained.  Developing caring relationships, and helping to nurture students to develop into moral citizens, who care about others and themselves is also one of the responsibilities of being a teacher (Danforth and Smith, 2005)
Situation:
One of the girls, in my Year 6 class was upset because her friends ‘were avoiding’ her, mostly during my classes where they ‘suddenly didn’t want to work with’ her. This coincided with the start of summer, and the return of 30 degree days and high humidity.  I closely watched the interactions of the class, after she confided in me, over the next few days.  I also mentioned the issue to one of her other teachers, curious to see if it was the case in all lessons.  Her teacher for numeracy and literacy, which are timetabled before morning recess every day, indicated that he hadn’t noticed any problem.
A couple of days later, after lunch the class came in, and in helping her with some work, I noticed that she had a rather strong body odour.  Almost fortuitously the next day, I overheard one of the other girls in our class commenting on it too, a bit gossipy, but I let it go then, and determined that I would need to deal with the body odour issue independently.  But I wasn’t sure how yet.
Results:
At parent teacher interviews, I was speaking with her mother, who also brought up some of the social issues experienced recently, and how she hated to see her daughter, and only child, upset.  I took a deep breath, and brought up the body odour issue, and mentioned that with the change of seasons, the possible start of puberty and the upcoming school trip to Beijing, maybe it was time to start using deodorant.  This was tonight; the relief that washed over her mother’s face when it looks like it is possibly such an easy solution to returning her daughter’s happiness was intense.  For me, it also seemed like the direction to take should come from home, when she is part of a loving and caring family, especially with relation to personal hygiene.  The final outcome?  I don’t know, but I hope it works out for her, it’s only been a short time since summer started, and she really is a lovely kid.
Relate:
In time I hope to develop further thinking skill strategies to enable the student to reflect on their behaviour and wellbeing, and how it impacts others.  I hope to be a teacher that encourages students to take ownership and responsibility for their own growth and development to move into contributing roles in society.
References:
Danforth, S. and Smith, T.J. (2005). Engaging Troubling Students: A Constructivist Approach.  California: Corwin Press

And FYI - the outcome... it worked: she had a great time in Beijing, and has come back with a big circle of friends again! Happy days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment